300g red onions, peeled and sliced
350g raw beetroot, peeled and grated
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
½ tsp crushed dried chillies
100g dark muscovado sugar
Sea salt and black pepper
100ml malt vinegar
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat and gently sauté the onions.
2. Add the beetroot, garlic and crushed chillies and gently sauté for a few more minutes.
3. Season with salt and pepper and cook out until the mixture begins to caramelise for around 10 minutes.
4. Stir in the sugar until it has dissolved, then pour in the vinegar.
5. Let it simmer and then turn down the heat and allow it to cook out slowly, stirring constantly until it becomes a jam consistency.
6. Finish with thyme and season as required.