300g stale sourdough bread
150g olive oil
50g red wine vinegar
1 small shallot
100g black olives
Handful of basil leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Slice the carrots at an angle, ensuring they are chunky – no need to remove the tops(just the leafy bit). Toss in 50g oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 mins or until cooked through and caramelised.
3. Tear the bread into chunks and spread out on a baking tray with 1 tbsp oil and bake for 10 – 15 mins, or until slightly toasted.
4. Finely dice the shallot and then add to a bowl with the remaining oil, vinegar and a pinch of salt and mix.
5. Once the carrots are cooked, toss together in a large bowl with the croutons, vinegar dressing, olives, half of the basil and the leafy bit of the carrot.
6. When serving the salad, sprinkle the remaining basil leaves on top.