300g freekeh grains – Washed and rinsed
2 white onions – Peeled and finely diced
2 garlic cloves – Peeled and finely chopped
10g cumin powder
10g coriander powder
100g dried pistachios
150g peas– Defrosted and chopped
100g dried apricots – Finely chopped
½ bunch flat parsley – Washed, dried and finely chopped
½ bunch mint – Leaves picked, washed and shredded
Olive oil for binding
Cracked black pepper
· Place the freekeh into a deep pot, cover with water and a touch of salt. Leave to gently cook for about 20 minutes.
· Heat a non-stick pan with a touch of olive oil, add the onions, garlic and spices, cook for about 2 minutes without colouring. Set to one side to cool.
· Place the pistachios into a food blender with a good sprinkle of salt. Pulse on a high setting for about 5 seconds, at this stage you should have a fine texture. Set to one side in a small flat tray.
· Remove the freekeh from the stove and drain off excess liquid. Place half of the mix into a blender and blend while hot to break down the texture (pulse for about 45 seconds). Add this to the remaining freekeh along with the cooked onions, peas, apricots & herbs. Place back into a blender and give a quick pulse to bring all the mix together, spoon out into a bowl and taste for seasoning.
· Add lemon zest & a squeeze of the juice.Chill for 10 minutes, before forming into balls (about 45g - 50g) Mould well before rolling in the pistachio. Chill again for 30 minutes or overnight.
· Shallow fry on a low temperature just before serving, they will take 2-3 minutes. Really important to have a clean oil &that the temperature is not too high as they will burn quickly.
· Serve hot or cold with hummus, tabbouleh, flat breads