500g root 'vegetable tops' or ‘greens’ (carrots, beets, turnips)
4 garlic cloves
50g macadamia nuts
200ml olive oil
½ lemon, juiced
1 tbsp toasted yeast
1. Rinse the tops or ‘greens’ from the root vegetables and pat dry.
2. Place in a food processor, small amounts at a time until pulsed.
3. Remove the kale stalks and set aside, then add the remaining ingredients and blitz until the ingredients are combined and resemble pesto.
4. Preheat the oven to 50°C.
5. Place the leftover kale stalks onto a baking tray in the oven and dehydrate until dry. This will take about a day to achieve. Once fully dried, place into a food processor and blitz until the kale is powdered. Mix with sesame seeds, salt and chilli flakes to make a garnish for later use. Pop into a sealed container and add to any dish for a twist.