Mixed Seed Granola
This granola recipe makes a little more than you need, but you can use the granola on salads, avocado on toast, or in a sandwich or wrap.
100g sunflower seeds
100g pumpkin seeds
1 tsp flavoured oil of your choice or just use a good olive oil (truffle oil gives the soup a little taste of luxury!)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
500g spinach leaves – washed
1 bunch of flat-leaf parsley - leaves picked and washed
1 head of fennel – shaved and washed
1 medium white onion – peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves – peeled and thinly sliced
1g fennel seeds
650ml vegetarian stock
Cracked white pepper
1 small lemon
1. Start by preheating your oven to 170°C
2. For the granola, place all of the seeds into a baking tray and cook in the oven for 10-12 mins, giving the seeds a stir halfway through.
3. Remove from the oven, and place half of the seeds onto a chopping board and roughly chop.
4. Add the chopped seeds back to the whole seeds, along with the sumac and oil, mix well, and taste. At this stage, you could add a touch of salt to taste before setting it aside.
5. For the soup, heat a deep pan with the vegetable oil, add the fennel, onion, garlic, fennel seeds and stir for a couple of mins - you don't need any colour!
6. Next, add the stock and cook for a few mins before adding the spinach and parsley leaves.
7. Cook for a further 2 mins, before placing the mix into your blender and pulse until the mix is smooth and vibrant green. Season with sea salt and cracked pepper to taste.
8. Pour the soup into your serving bowls and sprinkle over some of the granola, a drizzle of extra olive oil, a little lemon zest and a few turns of the pepper mill.