1kg trimmings and peelings from carrots,celery, onion, potatoes etc
2 – 3 garlic cloves
10– 12 whole peppercorns
2 bay leaves
1. Place the vegetable trimmings in a large pan. Fill the pan with cold water so that it just covers the trimmings.
2. Crush the garlic and add to the pan,skins and all, along with peppercorns and bay leaves.
3. Cover the pan and bring to a boil, before reducing the heat to a simmer and cooking for a further 25 – 30 mins.
4. Allow the stock to cool, before placing a large sieve over a large clean bowl.
5. Carefully pour the contents of the pan through the sieve, pressing on the solids to squeeze out any extra liquid before discarding the solids.